Wednesday 26 January 2011

Stupid comment of the day

Linda Rosenthal:  "Enough about you. Let's talk about me."


From a New York politician after the Assembly Health Committee cleared the way for a ban on e-cigarettes:

Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal, Democrat of Manhattan, who sponsored the bill, says she quit smoking twelve-and-a-half years ago, telling NEWS10, "If I can quit without e-cigarettes, then anybody can do it."

And I found a job without going to the Jobcentre, I stopped drinking without going to AA and I lost weight without going to Weightwatchers. And so—since all that matters is the anecdotal experience of one person—I hereby declare that all these things should be banned.

I wonder if this woman also managed to quit smoking without the use of Nicorette gum? Because if so, we should ask serious questions about whether anybody else should be allowed to use such products. In fact, whatever she does should be mandatory and whatever she doesn't do should be a criminal offence.

Because the whole world revolves around Linda frickin' Rosenthal.

4 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

That is fantastic. She ought to patent this logic. You can apply it to just about any situation, really, e.g.

Job centre worker: "If I can find a job then anybody can. Your application for Jobseeker's Allowance is hereby turned down"

Policeman "If I can catch a criminal then anybody can. Go and track down that mugger yourself."

And so on.

Anonymous said...

Linda: “I’m an antismoking bigot and everyone else should be, too.”

Anonymous said...

Maybe she's trying to audition to get herself on Live from New York, It's Saturday Night Live, the weekend comedy show.

She could go on stage and do a parody, of herself. Bloomberg, another half-wit, could chime in.

Anonymous said...

This woman was on the radio in my area this morning. She was quite adamant in her tone. Some of her points were (not direct quotes):

"People shouldn't be allowed to market these products if we don't know what's in them." (Of course, we DO know what's in them.)

"People tell me that they've been using these products ever since they gave up cigarettes. So what's the good of trading one nicotine addiction for another." (Where to start?)

"We've already had a problem with finding lead and other harmful chemicals in some products from China."

"We have a body like the New York State Legislature to protect consumers from themselves."

Via Instapundit, I was introduced to the Dunning-Kruger Effect today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

I think we might have a Dunning-Kruger example here in Ms. Rosenthal.

Hey, what do you know? I found the podcast of what I heard this morning. (Sorry, it's a bit long and you'll have to copy and paste into browser.)

http://www.wgy.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/player.html?redir=yes&mps=chuckandkelly.php&mid=http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/ALBANY-NY/WGY-AM/rosenthal127.mp3?CPROG=PCAST?CCOMRRMID&CPROG=RICHMEDIA&MARKET=ALBANY-NY&NG_FORMAT=&NG_ID=&OR_NEWSFORMAT=&OWNER=&SERVER_NAME=www.wgy.com&SITE_ID=1155&STATION_ID=WGY-AM&TRACK=